Jump to Navigation

What damages are possible when a fall drive leads to a car crash?

Fall is here, and along with it comes the crisp autumn air and beautiful autumn foliage, making it a popular time to for people in Illinois to take a scenic drive. However, any time of the year that a person takes a drive leaves them vulnerable to accidents caused by negligent drivers. While sometimes these accidents are minor and more of an annoyance than anything else, other times these accidents can be catastrophic.

Those injured in a car accident may at first be simply concerned with healing from their injuries. However, it won't take long for them to wonder if there is anything they can do to hold the negligent driver responsible. In some cases, filing a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent driver is appropriate. If so, it is important to understand what kinds of damages a person can seek in such situations.

For example, a person injured in a car accident may be able to pursue compensation for medical expenses. This includes not only bills from physicians and hospitals, but also ambulance fees, physical therapy and possibly in-home services, among other costs.

Another common type of damages is compensation for pain and suffering. This covers the physical and mental distress one experiences because of the accident. The amount of damages for pain and suffering may be based on a person's injuries and whether there will be future pain, along with emotional damages such as stress or anxiety.

A third type of damages that may be sought is compensation for loss of companionship. These types of damages are sought by the uninjured spouse, due to the injured spouse's inability to show affection due to the accident.

Finally, a person may seek damages for lost wages. Sometimes after a serious accident, it takes some time before an individual can go back to work, both in the present and in the future. Factors such as a person's age, job, experience and how long the person is expected to live may be considered when awarding this type of compensation.

This post only scratches the surface of the damages that might be sought after a car accident, and cannot serve as the basis for any lawsuit. To learn more about what types of compensation you can pursue after an accident, you may want to discuss your case with an attorney.

Source: FindLaw, "What Kinds of Damages May I Claim for Car Accident Injuries?," Accessed Oct. 23, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Do You Have a Case?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Our Office Locations

Brady & Jensen, LLP
Attorneys At Law

2425 Royal Boulevard
Elgin, IL 60123

Phone: 847-960-3121
Toll Free: 866-930-2063
Fax: 847-695-3243
Elgin Law Office Map

Brady & Jensen, LLP
Attorneys at Law

825 West State Street
Geneva, IL 60134

Phone: 630-262-0475
Geneva Law Office Map

Google Plus